Wednesday, October 1, 2014

When did werewolves & vampires become immortal hotties?

Yellow, slitted eyes stalk me in the darkness before the creature saunters towards me. Fallen tree limbs crack beneath his large, dog-like feet. The moonlight catches a glimpse of his oversized frame; with broad shoulders and protruding muscles, his spine curves to absorb the weight. The blackness of his soul makes even the leaves stiffen in fear. My limbs paralyze. My body trembles. My heart pleads to escape my chest as he moves closer, hovering over me. Saliva drips from his dagger-like teeth. His fangs are blood-stained with remnants of his last kill still packed against his gumlines. His coarse, unruly hair covers every inch of his skin. The creature is anything, but human. He smells of roadkill, masked with a faint hint of lavender. Is it cologne? His focus narrows in on my throat as his claws switchblade outward ripping into my flesh. A scream escapes my mouth, although it doesn't sound like a scream at all. Muffled. Weak. Child-like. Not that it matters; help would not come. It's too late anyway. My breath falls shallow as the beast's vociferous howl echos through the woods, signaling to all that he has captured his prey.

When I think of a werewolf, a large, beastly, smelly, hairy, moody, dangerous, dark creature comes to mind, such as the wolf in Stephen King's 1985 film Silver Bullet. However, recent Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance releases are casting a much different "were." This leaves me to wonder when werewolves (or anything supernatural for that matter) suddenly became sexy, immortal hotties.

The Twilight series left fantasy enthusiasts debating which sexy alpha male they'd rather have pierce their neck- Edward, the pale but attractive vampire with enduring eyes and soothing voice, or Jacob, the olive-skinned, muscled-up, shape-shifter who's in need of a slight attitude adjustment. Who could leave out MTV's hit series, Teen Wolf, starring Tyler Posey and Dylan O'Brien? This is just another example of the contemporary trend of steamy immortals who've received a sexy makeover.

I wonder if our sudden infatuation with turning deadly, immortal, blood suckers into our new man-crush is simply our obsession with the mysterious unknown. Or, is it an example of the dark side of human sexuality where depravation, lust and dominance seems to be at the forefront of so many modern day storylines? The current 50 Shades of Grey hype might be a solid second example of this; however, that is a completely different blog for an entirely different day.



No comments:

Post a Comment